Richmond, VA - Today, the Kaine for Virginia campaign announced it has accepted eight broadcast debate invitations to date for the U.S. Senate general election campaign.
The debates, all of which will be broadcast to television and radio audiences across the Commonwealth, will give millions of Virginia voters firsthand access to the candidates. They will be held in geographically diverse regions of the state, and are sponsored by a cross-section of Virginia organizations and media outlets.
“The stakes in this election are extremely high and all Virginians deserve an opportunity to hear directly from the candidates on issues of regional, state, and national importance,” said Kaine for Virginia Communications Director Brandi Hoffine. “Our priority is to participate in enough broadcast debates so that all Virginians get a chance to compare the candidates side-by-side. We look forward to working with George Allen’s campaign to make sure that happens."
Final logistical details are still being determined. Below is a list of sponsors and regions where the debates will be held:
- Radio One 2012 Senatorial Forum: Richmond, Late August (date and venue TBD). Broadcast on Radio One stations (TV broadcast TBD).
- WJLA-TV, POLITICO & Virginia FREE: Arlington Campus, George Mason University. September 14. Broadcast live on WJLA in DC, and available to ABC affiliates throughout Virginia.
- Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce & NBC4: Capital One Tysons Corner Complex, McLean. September 20. Broadcast live on NBC 4 in DC, and rebroadcast on Sunday, September 23.
- Randolph-Macon College, The Richmond Times Dispatch & the Virginia Chamber of Commerce: Randolph-Macon College, Ashland. October Date TBD. Broadcast on media partners WWBT NBC-12 and WCVE Community Ideas Stations in Richmond.
- WSLS-TV and Virginia Tech: Virginia Tech campus, Blacksburg. October date TBD. Broadcast live on WSLS-TV and made available to other television stations statewide.
- Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce: Norfolk, October 18 or 19 (TBD). Broadcast live on WVEC-TV (ABC affiliate) and to be rebroadcast at a later date TBD.
- League of Women Voters of Virginia & AARP Virginia: WCVE Studios, Midlothian. October 8. Broadcast on CBS-6 in Richmond and WCVE-TV (PBS).
- Virginia State Conference NAACP: Fredericksburg, October 26. Broadcast on WWBT NBC-12 in Richmond.
The Kaine campaign is also considering a number of other debate invitations, and hopes to make additional announcements in the coming weeks.